[plug] Re: [OT] Portable Music Player, Voice Recorder

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 9 13:23:41 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 12:41 +0800, Craig Foster wrote:
> ________________________________

Well, you can get players that fit the bill - but they tend to be
bigger, more capable units not tiny flash players.

Supporting Vobris, supporting speex recording, etc all mean more
complexity, more ROM size, and AFAIK in the case of Vorbis more CPU
power. That means more power consumption, leading to reduced battery
life and higher costs.

When 90% of the market haven't even *heard* of Vorbis, I can see why
they don't leap to support it. It's unfortunate, but not entirely
unjustified.

--
Craig Ringer