[plug] Re: [OT] Portable Music Player, Voice Recorder

garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 10 13:19:31 WST 2005

rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:

> On 8/9/05, *Timothy White* <weirdit at gmail.com
> <mailto:weirdit at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     So I'm still searching. The basic requirements is a Compact Flash
>     based Ogg player.
>     I can live without the rest, but radio and recording would be nice.
>     Speex isn't required.
>

> Did anyone mention the iRiver iFP-795? Seems to fit. Ogg player with
> radio and voice  recording. Saw it at Dick Smith.

I have one of these.

There's 2 problems. First, the supplied firmware needs a proprietry USB
interface, or there is a project on freshmeat. I've heard you can update
the firmware, but my luck I'd end up with a doorstop. So I just usethe
games puter which has xpee dual booting. You can't use it as a USB mass
storage device out of the box.

Second, the ogg support isn't complete. It only will play above a
certain bitrate - ok for quality sounds but not for the "podcast" radio
shows like Linux Linc Tech Show. MP3 support is complete AFAIK.

One other thing is it is tricky to use - it has lots of functions and
not many controls. You need to sit down with the book and absorb it..

But the sound is good, battery life is good [on one AA cell] and it is
pretty rugged for such a smal thing..

Garry