[plug] large files and mp3 encoding

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 10 14:42:31 WST 2005

I've hit some bugs in 'lame' with large files.
Is there a better MP3 encoder which can handle large input files?
Perhaps just a different front-end using the lame libraries?

I have some 900MB radio recordings from DVB-T, in mpeg transport stream
format.  The file format needs to be changed for mp3 players, and it'd
be nice to convert from mp2 to mp3 with a lower bitrate.

'mplayer' will convert the TS to a 5.2GB .wav file. (48kHz 2 x 16 bit)
But 'lame' cannot handle it. A recompile got past the 2GB file-size
limit, but it only reads a fraction of the input. Latest CVS version
is the same.
    Looking at the source, the front-end of lame is a bit of a hack.
e.g. any error in opening the file is reported as "cannot find".

Mike.