[plug] large files and mp3 encoding

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 10 14:55:43 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 14:42 +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> I've hit some bugs in 'lame' with large files.
> Is there a better MP3 encoder which can handle large input files?
> Perhaps just a different front-end using the lame libraries?
>

> I have some 900MB radio recordings from DVB-T, in mpeg transport stream
> format.  The file format needs to be changed for mp3 players, and it'd
> be nice to convert from mp2 to mp3 with a lower bitrate.
>
> 'mplayer' will convert the TS to a 5.2GB .wav file. (48kHz 2 x 16 bit)
> But 'lame' cannot handle it. A recompile got past the 2GB file-size
> limit, but it only reads a fraction of the input. Latest CVS version
> is the same.
>     Looking at the source, the front-end of lame is a bit of a hack.
> e.g. any error in opening the file is reported as "cannot find".
>
> Mike.

Just opened "grip" and saw that apart from flac, oggenc and lame, it can
use l3enc, xingmp3enc and mp3encode.

Exactly how these work, and whether they use lame libs or what is a
mystery to me  ;-)   and an exercise for the student.  ;-)

HTH
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart