[plug] Xandros Desktop

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 11 16:20:58 WST 2005

Bruno Cristovao wrote:
> San Francisco LinuxWorld Conference and Expo 2005
>
> Xandros Desktop was chosen as the 'Best Desktop/Productivity/Business
> Application' in LinuxWorld's Product Excellence Awards.
>
> Any thoughts on the Xandros Desktop solution? Anyone using it?

Yep, I use it.  I currently have Xandros Desktop Deluxe v3, running the
2.6.11 kernel.  I STRONGLY recommend it as the very best newbies distro,
even with respect to Linspire.  As far as I'm concerned, as a beginner,
it's a pleasant surprise amongst the mayriad consolation prizes which,
collectively, are Linux.  I played with the free version for a month or
so and liked it so much I bought the full one.  (Navada in Osborne Pk
sell it - $114.40 for the Deluxe desktop version - including a 350 page
printed/bound manual.)

Linspire is perhaps marginally more developed than Xandros, but they
lock you tighter into their own package format and mnagement than do
Xandros.  Xandros will give a newbie a pleasant and mostly trouble free
desktop computing experience.  It co-exists happilly with other OSs,
including Wintendo, OS/2 and other *nixes.

Xandros has given me the easy lead in to Linux, but still allows me some
measure of freedom amongst the 1,000s of Linux apps out there which I
can try.  *Almost* anything with a .DEB extension will run on Xandros.
I have brought myself thoroughly undone 3 or 4 times so far over the
past 8 mths, with .DEBs which didn't quite work on Xandros.  My biggest
problem there is having a 1.5meg ADSL acct with unlimited downloads
(DANGER, WILL SMITH, DANGER!!)  I've tried out 100s (or even 1000s) of
apps, so I expect some problems.  One day I'll learn to compile my own,
but for now Xandros gives all I want/need.

At least 1 other PLUGger uses it (the registered version) that I know of.

Cheers
Kev
Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.1
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!