[plug] gentoo

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 13 13:59:05 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 22:14 +0800, Jim Householder wrote:
> Greetings

> The hiccups were
> 1.  I used "make && make modules_install && make install" and failed to
> notice that "make install" did not run.  When installing grub I found
> /boot empty!  make install fixed things.

Usually caused by not having /boot mounted when doing make install: it
ends up getting installed into the mount point instead of that .boot
partition.

> 2.  The example in the handbook on the DVD used
>        root (hd0,0)
>        kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3
> which got me a file-not-found message.  Changing it to
>        kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz... worked.

Make install is simple, but its usually better to do a manual install
and manage the namespace manually.  e.g., build a faulty kernel a couple
of times and you dont have a backup ...

> Full credit, and then some, go to people who can put together procedures
> with so many steps that Just Work(tm).
>
> I think that next time (most likely will be...) I will change the bash
> prompt to include a timestamp so I can have a record of each step's
> duration.
>
> Jim
Install quickpkg
run "time find  /var/db/pkg/ -type d -mindepth 2 -exec quickpkg \\{\\} \
\;"

Zip the config files (/etc and so on) and then burn them
and /usr/portage/packages/* to a dvd.  This then becomes the basis of
doing a custom binary install.

BillK

Home!