[plug] gentoo

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Aug 13 19:34:03 WST 2005

> Install quickpkg
> run "time find  /var/db/pkg/ -type d -mindepth 2 -exec quickpkg \\{\\} \
> \;"
>
> Zip the config files (/etc and so on) and then burn them
> and /usr/portage/packages/* to a dvd.  This then becomes the basis of
> doing a custom binary install.
>
> BillK

Thanks for the comments Bill, and Bob too.

I seem to be missing something...  I'm not getting much in the way of
system logging.  I emerged syslog-ng.  I'm used to seeing dmesg, syslog,
messages, and explanations, but I'm only getting messages and it's not
telling me why the network is not starting.

Only thinking of the text version, I emerged emacs.  4 hours later I had
xorg, gnome, and who-knows-what-else installed.  But no emacs.  Seems
libungif-4.1.3 could not be found.  Of 72 packages, it was 71st with
emacs last.  Oh well...

<2 hours and a full tummy later>
Network problem is solved - wrong driver specified in kernel, followed
by bad gateway address in /etc/conf.d/net.

libungif is installed and emacs is in progress.

Hopefully the next post will be from the gentoo machine.

Jim