[plug] tail -f

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Aug 14 10:53:03 WST 2005

William Kenworthy wrote:

>I didnt see a reason for why you want to monitor fetchmail in this way -
>is there a reason you are not using the --interface option to fetchmail
>to force it to monitor the interface itself?

I understand what you are asking, but I'm trying to solve a different
problem.

I am on a network that is charged by the Mb after 1.25Gb. I have set
fetchmail to check mail every hour, but once in a while I'm waiting for
a specific email, so I send fetchmail the awaken command. I tail syslog
to see if there is any mail, so I see fetchmail awaken, messages, then
fetchmail sleep.

At the moment I'm doing that with a tail -f and a grep, but I need to
press CTRL-C to stop the process once sleeping comes past. Russel and I
have been playing with a tail/grep combination to overcome the need to
interrupt the process.

I might add that while my PHP script stops when the stop word comes
past, the process doesn't actually terminate because tail is still
running. I haven't figured out a better way yet.

So if you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..