[plug] tail -f

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 14 15:15:11 WST 2005

You can telnet directly to a pop3 or imap port and get a list of emails
waiting for download using simple ascii text commands.

or

using perl and the Mail::POP3Client or the similar imap modules and you
can do something like:

(cut from
"http://search.cpan.org/~sdowd/Mail-POP3Client-2.16/POP3Client.pm"
_____
  use Mail::POP3Client;
  $pop = new Mail::POP3Client( USER     => "me",
                               PASSWORD => "mypassword",
                               HOST     => "pop3.do.main" );
  for( $i = 1; $i <= $pop->Count(); $i++ ) {
    foreach( $pop->Head( $i ) ) {
      /^(From|Subject):\s+/i && print $_, "\n";
    }
  }
  $pop->Close();
____

A bit of inventive scripting and you can have it check every 10 minutes
(downloading new headers only), and haveit pop up a list if any showup.
Possibilities are endless...

There comes a time when the simple approach like yours proves just too
much work.

BillK

On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 12:23 +0930, Onno Benschop wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:

> I might add that while my PHP script stops when the stop word comes
> past, the process doesn't actually terminate because tail is still
> running. I haven't figured out a better way yet.
>

> So if you have any ideas, I'm all ears.
>
> Cheers,

Home!