[plug] Intro and Query on installing Linux on a Satelite A10 Laptop

Peter Crystal draoidh at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 15 20:27:54 WST 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 04:37:37AM -0700, Mark Bolton wrote:

> As a starter I would like to install Linux on my
> Toshiba satellite A 10 laptop. Dual Boot? In spite of
> my involvement in Industrial Electronics  (I have a
> Diploma in Electronics ,old skool 80s, and done
> machine language programing on a PDP 8? and 6800
> uProcessor) I am not a power user.   I have installed
> Linux on a few machines but never really got my teeth
> into it. I am a bit of a bush mechanic and feel
> frustrated that I haven't the smarts to "pop the hood
> " and get in to fix a problem at a configuration level
> when windows wizards don't work.

This is a small article I wrote a little while ago documenting my
installation of Linux on an A10

	http://members.iinet.net.au/~draoidh/computers/a10.html

Of course, I got it working a lot better than that document suggests.

However, more related articles can be found on :

	http://tuxmobil.org/

But just to say the A10 takes to Linux quite well. Infact it is a rather
good machine to run it off. Using Debian Sarge or Sid it'd be even
easier. Especially now the ALSA modules (for sound) auto-detect so well.

Personally my current challenge is to get it working fine on my IBM T43.
95% of the way there. Managed to mangled my install a little so I can't
compile new kernels. But that what you get playing with a mix of
Debian Unstable and Debian Testing ;)

--
Peter Crystal