[plug] gentoo progress

dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 15 21:59:23 WST 2005

Quoting Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au>:

> William Kenworthy wrote:
>>
>> 3. planetmirror sucks - dont use it.
> I tried mirrorselect -a and it only gave me
> GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/Gentoo"

Hello Jim,

If you want a few more potential mirror candidates, use the -sn option to
mirrorselect, where n=limit to some number of candidates.   For example
mirrorselect -a -s3 would limit the choices to the three best (based on
time to respond/download the test stream.)

> I'm getting *very* slow response on some network access.  Occasionally I

Pass on the DHCP bit but regards the NFS...

This *may* be a result of mis-matched NFS's... for example I have a Debian
box with NFS version 3 and a Gentoo machine with version 4 and the same
delay happens.   For various reasons The Time Is Not Right (tm) to
upgrade the Debian machine :-)   But I have reason to believe that will
give a better result.   (Sorry, do not have earlier postings in this
thread ATM so forgive if this is off base.)

HTH
Denis