[plug] The clarion voice of sanity in a slashmob of chaos.

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 17 11:50:57 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 10:04 +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 09:26, simon wrote:
> > Linus stated his position on the Linux name a decade ago, which
> > amounted to 'do what you want with it but play nice'.
>
> Dunno if you've noticed, but...
>
>  1. Linux is big bu$ine$$ now; so
>
>  2. some serious people have stopped playing nice.
>
> Linus is a pragmatist. If he can reduce the damage from corporate
> playground bullies by asserting control over the Linux trademark, then
> he'll sigh and buckle down to do it.

Not to mention that someone actually DID trademark the name Linux and
try to shake down all the distro manufacturers for using "his"trademark.
This is what FORCED Linus and friends to fight him for the trademark,
and then to decide to assert the trademark world-wide.

It was to PREVENT abuse, not to cause his own brand thereof. Sheesh!!!

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart