[plug] gentoo progress

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 17 19:22:28 WST 2005

With gentoo you must be in the "wheel" group to su.  Gives control over
who can and cant su from a common user group.  I thought most distros
did this? (seem to remember Mandrake did anyway)

By the way, dont play with PAM like some of the others are suggesting.
Its a horrible, nasty piece of gear thats responsible for some weird and
wonderful faults that will drive you bananas to faultfind and fix.  I
think pam at the moment is pretty bug free, so I'd reccomend letting
sleeping Dogs (with a capital "D") lie.  Hmmm, its beginning to sound
like my last alligator style wrestling session with PAM didnt go so
well ...

BillK

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 16:16 +0800, Jim Householder wrote:
> I'm now having a bit of trouble accessing root privileges.  I can login
> as root with no problems.
>
> su gets me:
> $ su
> <same password again>