[plug] Mambo Open Source Split

simon simon at plumtek.com
Thu Aug 18 09:09:02 WST 2005

simon (simon at plumtek.com) wrote:

> The situation is difficult. Ive been kept aprised of the situation by a good
> friend close to the core team. In fact, I have an idea he might be the Lone
> Mamber.
>
> This is one of those situations where a fork is probably necessary. There is
> some angst as to the loss of naming privileges, but at the end of the day a
> good product is a good product, and they will survive this.
>
> Notch up another win for the GPL.

Replying to my own post - the first sign of madness? :)

Having spoken to my friend, he is in fact the lone mamber..... I spoke with
him last night, and it seems that there is almost definitely going to be a
fork in this project. From what I can tell, there's a bit of a clash of egos
occuring, with Miro (who started the project) weilding an iron rod over
'their' project and talking about changing licenses (I dont think they
understand the GPL), and the core dev team (who wrote a pile of the code)
feeling disenfranchised since they had zero say in this new 'Foundation', its
make-up, or board members.

Unfortunately I think the situation is beyond redemption. The core dev team
are very quiet, undoubtedly gearing up for the fork.

There was some initial angst concerning the name, but according to 'the lone
mamber' the dev team are hoping that the publicity arising out of the fork
will be enough to avoid confusion over the name change. Mambo is a crap name
anyway, since there is already a company called Mambo which has supposedly
caused some problems in the past.

If you havent seen Mambo, it really is worthwhile checking it out. If youve
got the time, experience, or $$$, Im sure the dev team could use your support.
Even a few words of encouragement would help :)

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com
mob: 0409113359