[plug] Xinerama on Debian

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Thu Aug 18 12:19:02 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 11:13 +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:45:30AM +0800, Randal Adamson wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I'm having some issues getting Xinerama to work on Debian.
> >
> > A few things to consider:
> >
> > - I'm running unstable with Kernel 2.6.11-9-amd64-K8
> > - I'm currently running XFree86
> > - I'm running Gnome 2.10
> > - I'm using an NVidia GeForce FX5200 card (dual head)
> >
> > What do you think the best solution?
>
> I've been running debian with xinerama on a dual head MX400 for
> perhaps three years without trouble.  The XINERAMA extension is
> available on the X server even though it's commented in the
> XF86Config-4.  I think nVidia's TwinView option enables it.
>
> Would you like me to email you my XF86Config-4?

Hi Russell,

I'm pretty ok with setups of the XF86Config-4 files (xorg.conf) - it's
not the problem. I'm sure it's a plain driver issue. I'm using "nv" as
the driver - which is the default kernel driver for nvidia. A lot of
people say to use the nvidia driver (but mine doesn't support it).

I've just installed x.org - now running ok.

Still need to get xinerama to work.

Just downloaded driver from Nvidia.com (for AMD64) - and tried to run it
and had a segmentation fault.

Been doing some googling - and a lot of debian users recommend using the
deb package for nvidia-kernel - and recompiling the kernel to support
this.

Might try that.

Cheers,

Ranz