[plug] Linux and DVD Audio/AC3

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:21:04 WST 2005

On 8/17/05, John Knight <anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm usually the (in)famously zealous guy for this, but t obe honest, I don't
> have any albums on DVD audio!

I'm suprised there isn't more DD5.1 audio mixes. Most of the "Music
DVDs" seem to be live concerts, etc... They don't seem to stretch the
5.1 capabilities.

(Although any recommendations of music DVDs which DO have awesome 5.1
mixes would be appreciated!)

On the flip-side, I'm trying to get my HTPC (a cheapo old Via SFF) to
output S/PDIF - If I can archive DD5.1 music on a media server, and
play it back in the home theatre, it'd be awesome.

I was at first looking at USB->S/PDIF devices (eg;
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadvantage/producthome.asp)
but found allusions to S/PDIF support for my own motherboard. Nothing
is mentioned in the manual, though. The system has Composite+S-Video
on-board, so I'm wondering if it can do S/PDIF out the Composite like
the Epia's can. The search for technical info continues... (I haven't
resorted to random jumper changes yet).

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/
Web Technical Administrator  -  IT Services, Murdoch University