[plug] new lappy, just move "home" ?

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 08:15:06 WST 2005

On 8/18/05, Senectus . <senectus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like I _may_ be getting a new laptop (cause this new one is
> utter crap), I'd like to transfer my home environment with minimal
> fuss.. do you think it should just be a case of :
> logout and login as root
> kill X and GDM
> Copy it over... ??
> or is there something that I'm not thinking of that will cause a
> godawful mess on the new machine?

The only 'gotcha' I hit once was the user id number. My original user number
was 1000. When I installed linux on the new machine by default/habit I
created a user and being the first non-root user its number was also 1000.
When I transfered my original user onto the machine it didn't like the idea
of two users with the same number. :)

--
> Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
> "Luminocity is a cracktastic technology testbed for Metacity." - From
> the gnome.org <http://gnome.org> website
> www.modmeup.net <http://www.modmeup.net>

Regards,
Russ