[plug] new lappy, just move "home" ?

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Aug 18 13:48:03 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 11:11 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> Looks like I _may_ be getting a new laptop (cause this new one is
> utter crap), I'd like to transfer my home environment with minimal
> fuss.. do you think it should just be a case of :
> logout and login as root
> kill X and GDM

Wouldn't bother - the files that they use aren't on /home AFAIK.

> Copy it over... ??
> or is there something that I'm not thinking of that will cause a
> godawful mess on the new machine?

I've done it before, and it worked fine.

Make sure you use options to preserve links and keep ownership and
permissions.

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart