[plug] Online music services and Linux?

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sat Aug 20 14:07:53 WST 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:32, Ari Finander wrote:
> I'm interested in trying one of the legit (not the Russian copyright
> infrginement one) online music services. However, most all of these
> seem to require a windows or mac program to transfer the files you
> download to a player or charge you per burn to a cdrom. Are there any
> services that work with Linux? I want to pay for a song, download it,
> and move it to either cd or mp3 player without having to deal with
> MicroSoft and their crap Digital Rights Management. Bascially, if I
> pay for it, I want to be able to use it!

I'm personally a Magnatune fan.

 - Artists with originality, unlike what they play on the radio
 - Gratis streaming full-length, reduced-quality previews
 - You choose how much you pay for an album, USD 5 minimum
 - Artists get 50% of revenue (yes, revenue)
 - Contracts are non-exclusive
 - All music licensed under CC by-nc-sa
 - Platform independent
 - Your choice of WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC, or AAC

</salespitch>

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/