[plug] Online music services and Linux?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Aug 23 11:14:48 WST 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 02:08:14AM +0000, simon wrote:
> Gregory Orange (gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com) wrote:
>
> > Sure, if you want to be more correct than my
> > short-attention-span-for-legal-detail allows, they are separate. They're
> >   both wrong (IMHO) and illegal, however.
>
> ditto. It amazes me how liberal some people are with violating other people's
> rights (after all, they have the right to distribute their music or whatever
> in any way they wish - if you dont like the terms, dont buy it). However,
> their stories change when it comes to the GPL and OSS (which must be afforded
> every protection under the law and anyone who violates the license is pure
> evil).

That's looking at the issue from a viewpoint coloured by the law as it
is written ("the law says this is bad, therefore it's bad").  If,
instead, you start from the assumption "sharing is natural and good",
then things look very different.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Just go ahead and write your own multitasking multiuser os!
Worked for me all the times.
	-- Linus Torvalds