[plug] Online music services and Linux?

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Tue Aug 23 13:23:32 WST 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:00, Mr Shayne wrote:

> Buying a $30 CD off Metallica doesnt mean metallica gets $30 however, and
> either way, its not as if they NEED the money.

So, it's alright to steal from the rich, but not alright to steal from the
poor?  How very Robin Hood of you =).

> But if you are planning to set up a factory to produce metallica bootlegs,
> then yes, you probably need to go to jail or something.

So where do you draw the line?  If I put up a metallica torrent and 1000
people download it is that okay?  What if I charge admission to use the
tracker?  What then if the majority of the stuff on the tracker is copyright
owned by me? How is that different from a factory producing 1000 metallica
CDs and giving them away?  Or selling the catalogue that the CD is featured
in?

Copyright sucks.  It is way too complicated.  Under the pre-FTA copyright
agreement is Casablanca in Public Domain?  It's over 50 years old.  But the
writers died less than 50 years ago.  Same with the composers.  So maybe the
picture is in the public domain but not the audio.  It's a legal minefield.
One that most film-makers face every day.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

<FrikaC> I should probably reboot...
<FrikaC> ok brb
<FrikaC> So, what apart form avoiding virii, memory leaks, and rampant
         crashing does Linux reallhy offer :)
<LordHavoc> reliable multitasking?

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/