[plug] Online music services and Linux?

Mr Shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Aug 23 13:00:59 WST 2005

I suspect if the bogus copyright regime toppled, the thinking would be
different, as it would move "IP" from a matter of legality to a matter of
reputation. "Sure you can sell that product, but it would be nice if we
had the code you dodgy operator you."

Either way, I have huge problems with bootlegging local band music. I know
full well that when you buy a CD off a band at the pub, thats 20 bucks
that goes smack bang into paying off the recording studio and ultimately
dinner for the drummers 9 kids (uh, catholic rock band I suppose?! I'm
being rhetorical). If you make a copy for yourself, you are still not
stealing , but its still the right thing to do.

Buying a $30 CD off Metallica doesnt mean metallica gets $30 however, and
either way, its not as if they NEED the money.

But if you are planning to set up a factory to produce metallica bootlegs,
then yes, you probably need to go to jail or something.

--
Freedom's just another word for something new to regulate