[plug] Google Talk

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:41:34 WST 2005

Interesting statements in the "About" section:
15. What new features are you working on?

We could tell you, but then you'd have to promise to not talk about
it... Joking aside, Google Talk is still in beta, and we're working
hard to add features and make improvements. We're just not quite ready
yet to reveal the other cool things we've got planned. We can say
this, though: we believe strongly in user choice and open standards,
and we are committed to letting users access Google Talk using the
client and platform of their choice, as well as to enabling our users
to talk with users from other service providers.

We also want to keep making Google Talk better and we want your ideas
and feedback to help make this happen! Talk to us using the Help link
in the Google Talk interface. Let us know what you like, what you
don't like, and what you'd really like.

16. Can you tell me more about Google Talk's commitment to open
standards and user choice?

We believe that you should have a choice in how you communicate with
your friends, that you shouldn't have to use one service because
that's where you keep your contacts and other information. We launched
free auto-forwarding and POP access for Gmail so our users could take
their messages with them and use any service they want, and we're
committed to upholding this idea of user choice for Google Talk as
well. Today, with instant communications, you can't talk to your
contacts or buddies in one service while using another service. We
hope to change that. We want to work with other willing service
providers to enable their users to communicate directly with Google
Talk users. And while we hope many people will use and like the Google
Talk client, we're committed to making it as easy as possible for you
to communicate with your friends using the client that you want--even
if it doesn't happen to be ours. That's why we're also supporting open
standards and the same protocol that clients such as Trillian, GAIM
and iChat do. For more details, please visit our FAQ for developers.

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"Luminocity is a cracktastic technology testbed for Metacity." - From