[plug] [OT] Soft Eng .vs. Comp Sci

James L. Clarke jamesc at global.net.au
Wed Aug 24 20:15:21 WST 2005

Tim,

I would advise not doing either, but doing something like a Bachelor of
Commerce majoring Information Technology, now a days most of the pure Software
Engineering/CS work is outsourced to India. Employers like to see that you
have some business skills.

Or perhaps do a double degree in Computer Science and some other field that you
are interested to work in.

In my work we've always looked for people who have something more than just
computer skills.

Actually today there was an article on slashdot on the exact same thing:-
http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/05/08/23/2051220.shtml?tid=146&tid=156

Regards,

James