[plug] [OT] Soft Eng .vs. Comp Sci

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Aug 26 09:53:22 WST 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Randal Adamson wrote:

> I would say if it bore down to two choices as presented - I'd go with
> Computer Science. This is based on the impression that I get that you're
> not really going to be interested in all the standard "Engineering"
> stuff. Computer Science is more associated to Software Development,
> Systems and general "Computer Stuff". If this is where your pathed
> career lies - than there's your answer.

The reason for the inclusion of the " "Engineering" stuff", is that the
degree is named a Software Engineering degree.

Different universities in WA (and elsewhere) have a specific degree
named a Software Engineering degree.

In the IEEE and other professional organisations, debate has often
occurred as to whom can truthfully be regarded as Software Engineers.

Some people incorrectly use the title to refer to Software Developers.

There are two fundamental differences - the first is that, to use the
title that includes the word Engineer, a person needs to have done an
engieering degree/diploma. The second, is that a Software Developer is
concerned with the development of software, whereas a Software Engineer
is more concerned with the process of software development - the
engineering of software - metrics and quality control, etc.

An issue here, is the same kind of thing, that is indicated by the
quotation in my signature, that is a fundamental principle of problem
solving (and software engineering and software development) - first,
properly define what is wanted, then, the solution is more meaninful and
appropriate.

Computing and computer programming and software development, have
different career paths, and different education paths.

Whilst it has not (from memory) been established at which institution
the person who started the thread, is undergoing the degree course, (or,
I think, the stage of the degree course, at which the person is
studying), for example, Mudrock (or, Murdoch University, to the less
familiar) has a number of different degree courses, including Software
Engineering (based at Rockingham campus), Computer Science, Internet
Computing, Games Technology and others (see
http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/teaching/index.html , for a list of
undergraduate courses other than Software Engineering).

I think and suggest that, first, what the person wants to do with the
degree, needs to be established, and then, the appropriate degree
(and maybe, institution, if a different degree at a different
institution, is appropriate) should be able to be found, to satisfy that
need.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale