[plug] [OT] Soft Eng .vs. Comp Sci

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 11:48:46 WST 2005

On 8/26/05, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
<snip>

> I think and suggest that, first, what the person wants to do with the
> degree, needs to be established, and then, the appropriate degree
> (and maybe, institution, if a different degree at a different
> institution, is appropriate) should be able to be found, to satisfy that
> need.

Thanks for the course clarifications. That really helped. It seems
that what happened was the career's adviser really didn't know what
they were talking about when I first talked to them (they were from
the computer division as well.) It seems that all they really wanted
to do was show me that an engineering course was better, and I'd get
more money when I left. Even though it wasn't really what I wanted to
do. I think I already said this in a previous post, I've now dropped
all units except maths, and I'll take up Computer Science next
semester. I guess I should have looked in detail at the differences
myself, now that I look at the course outlines I can see that computer
science is better suited to me.

I won't name the uni, I'll just say that now I know I'm doing computer
science, I'm kicking my self that I didn't get into UWA. Oh well,
Curtin is closer to me, so it's a little easier to get to. And if I
get this new job it'll also be closer to work.

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions, much appreciated. Now I'm off
to spend the rest of the semester coding my personal projects; I wish,
mum's going to make me get a 'real' job. Oh well, money = car,
computer parts... I still have a hard disk to replace that Seagate so
far doesn't want to.

Tim