[plug] Source Mage - I'm not having fun yet...

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Aug 27 22:56:23 WST 2005

I've tried 3 times now to install Source Mage and have yet to get a
usable system.

Try 1:  Installed OK.  Rebooted.  sorcery system-update.  Worked OK
until one of the mirrors failed to respond.  Each cast took forever -
long timeout, 3 retries, before moving on.  ^c to interrupt.

sorcery went into some sort of error recovery and then hung.  reboot
command from second vt hung.  On reboot (hard reset) root password was
no longer accepted.

Try 2:  Installed OK but no automatic network access.  Rebooted.  Cast a
few things OK.  cast emacs.  That resulted in a circular dependency and
a number of compiles failing due to paging problems.  Could not get
emacs, xorg or xfree86 due to said problems.

Try 3:  Install failed.  Got to point in menu to select Done.  First 2
times it transferred a lot of stuff from the CD before rebooting.  This
time reboot was immediate.

I'm trying to use stable release 0.9.3, downloaded from www.sourcemage.org.
Perhaps it's corrupt.

Jim :-(==