[plug] R52 - ACPI - 18586MM

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Aug 31 12:28:47 WST 2005

Hi all,

After searching the 'net and reading thinkwiki, I'm no wiser as to how
to make my R52 sleep or hibernate. I'm running Debian with a 2.6.11
kernel and no matter what I do, I cannot seem to figure it out. There
are other issues as well, as outlined below.

   1. Pressing the "lid-close micro switch" turns off the back-light,
      and processes are stopped and modules are unloaded, but the
      machine doesn't actually go to sleep. Releasing it, starts
      processes and loads modules. For some reason mysql doesn't stop,
      even if the database isn't actually in use.
   2. The fan runs continuously, sometimes it starts racing and settles
      down again.
   3. The console shows half the screen, or broken characters, depending
      on the vga mode I set in lilo.conf
   4. Switching between X-sessions (I run two), shows a lot of video
      garbage while the switch happens, I think this is related to the
      corruption I see on the console.
   5. My lilo.conf append is: append="apm=off acpi=on
      video=vesa:ywrap,pmipal,mtrr pci=noacpi acpi_sleep=s3_bios
      resume=/dev/sda2"
   6. I cannot seem to make the Bluetooth Fn-F5 key generate any events,
      this means that I cannot capture the event to unload an external
      bluetooth module, or perhaps turn off the wireless radio. (I don't
      believe that I have built-in Bluetooth)
   7. I cannot seem to find a way to turn off the screen, a work-around
      is to switch to an external monitor with Fn-F7.
   8. I'm using ibm-acpi v0.11.
   9. On one occasion I saw my machine actually sleep after pressing
      Fn-F4, but it didn't wake up. I could not reproduce that.
  10. It is my understanding that my machine should sleep when I press
      Fn-F4, it should hibernate when I press Fn-F12, and turn off the
      screen when I press Fn-F3, regardless of power coming from AC or
      Battery - is that correct?
  11. The machine seems to detect an eth1, but doesn't actually tell me
      what it is. The vendor_name_kv tells me: Linux - ohci1394, which
      makes me think that it's the fire wire port.

My biggest observation is that others don't seem to have anywhere the
same number of problems, which makes me think that I'm missing something
(not so) obvious, or that I'm doing something wrong.

My order of priority is:

    * sleep
    * fan
    * hibernate

Hoping that you folks will have some clue-bats to hit me over the head
with and point me in the right direction.

Appreciate any responses,

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°45'36.5" - E139°00'08.7" (Mount Pleasant, SA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..