[plug] R52 - ACPI - 18586MM

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:38:19 WST 2005

On 8/31/05, Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After searching the 'net and reading thinkwiki, I'm no wiser as to how
> to make my R52 sleep or hibernate. I'm running Debian with a 2.6.11
> kernel and no matter what I do, I cannot seem to figure it out. There
> are other issues as well, as outlined below.
>
>    1. Pressing the "lid-close micro switch" turns off the back-light,
>       and processes are stopped and modules are unloaded, but the
>       machine doesn't actually go to sleep. Releasing it, starts
>       processes and loads modules. For some reason mysql doesn't stop,
>       even if the database isn't actually in use.

This is something I've also had a problem with on my computer. I think
it's a bug in MySQL or something, it doesn't support the sleep state
properly or something. I believe a fix is to stop it with a
'pre-sleep' script and start it with a 'post-sleep' script.
If you do solve this one, please let me know, although I don't sleep
my AMD64 anymore.

Hibernate was fairly easy. In the kernel config I set my default
resume partition to the swap partition. Then stopped mysql, and
hibernated (by echo S5 or something into /proc/power or somethine),
then started it up and watch it resume fine, restarted MySQL. I only
played with it but found it really easy.

Tim