[plug] R52 - ACPI - 18586MM

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 31 17:54:40 WST 2005

Onno Benschop wrote:

> Timothy White wrote:
>
> >This is something I've also had a problem with on my computer. I think
> >
> >it's a bug in MySQL or something, it doesn't support the sleep state
> >properly or something. I believe a fix is to stop it with a
> >'pre-sleep' script and start it with a 'post-sleep' script.
> >If you do solve this one, please let me know, although I don't sleep
> >my AMD64 anymore.
>
> All hail to the conquering hero.

If you want a good pre/post-sleep script, I'd recommend you look at
Hibernate (I may be biassed, however; see
http://bugs.debian.org/hibernate ;-).  One of its features is
starting/stopping services such as MySQL.  If you're using Debian or
Ubuntu you can just `apt-get install hibernate`.  Hibernate was
originally designed for suspend2 but works just as well with the
in-kernel suspend-to-disc and ACPI sleep modes.  It was also written
by a Perthite and ex-PLUG president :-)

Incidentally, if you apply the suspend2 patch it should JustWork with
MySQL running (even if you don't enable suspend2 in the kernel
config).  The suspend2 patch includes Nigel's enhancements to the
"refrigerator" code which is used by all the various suspend
implementations to get processes into a sane state before
sleeping.. http://suspend2.net/ has the gory details and downloads :-)

Advertisement concludes.

Cameron.