[plug] Source Mage - I'm not having fun yet...

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 31 19:31:42 WST 2005

Craig Dyke wrote:

> I am curious, are you on dialup or cable?
> (just that two hours seems like a long time for emacs)

256k/64k adsl.  I have no idea how long it actually took, as I had
things to do in town and was gone about 2 hours.

> Have you checked all the correct information is recorded for your card?
> Look in /etc/sysconfig/net and there should be two devices listed, one
> for looping (lo)
> and the other for net card (eth0).

I have not looked there yet.  I'll have to swap disks again to check.

I initially was working on my wife's old computer (replaced due to
random errors and resets in windoze).  It has been fairly reliable with
linux.  However because of the problems I had with the 3rd SMGL try I'm
using my primary system (2.4GHz P4, 1GB ram) now.

Being slightly paranoid, and prone to random memory leaks, I prefer
swapping drives.  That way I'm reasonably safe.  Of course I could
physically damage the drives...

> I have also gone to the point of setting the IP statically at first to
> confirm
> that I have a working card (of course this won't work if no card is
> available).

The card is definitely there and working.  Probably a missing entry in
/etc/sysconfig/net.

> You could also check that your kernel config has the necessary driver
> for your card.

I just checked the current system and found it's using 8139too.

> Chin up :) I found using this distro to be very rewarding both as a
> distro and a learning tool
> for Linux in general

Definitely a learning tool!

Jim