[plug] update-rc.d help

Ashley Jennings fooscope at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 09:13:54 WST 2005

hmmm,  just ran the ambiguity meter over my post.

to make that a bit clearer, update-rc.d is for starting things like
daemons that already have a script in /etc/init.d

If you want to start a program from a package that does not have an
init script, you can copy and hack one of the existing ones to run
your required program rather than whatever it was running.

and then do the update-rc.d <name of your hacked /etc/init.d script> defaults

If it is an X program you want started on boot, this is not a cool
way. That is more at home in ~/.xinitrc  :-)

Ashley