[plug] Reading Package Lists... Error!

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun Dec 4 17:09:27 WST 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 05:02:58PM +0800, Kev wrote:
> When running apt-get to install synaptic I got the following error
> message.  Can someone translate this into mono or duo-syllabic english
> for me please.
>
> Tia
> Kev
>

> kevs:/home/kev# apt-get install synaptic
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> E: Error occured while processing liblablgtkmathview-ocaml (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList
> /var/lib/apt/lists/xnv3.xandros.com_3.0_pkg_dists_unsupported3.0-xn_main_binary-i386_Packages
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

While it's possible that apt-get has really tried to do something that
makes it run out of memory (which is essentially what "MMap ran out of
room" means), it's much more likely that you have a corrupt Packages
file.  My advice would be to remove that file, update your apt lists,
and re-try the installation of synaptic.

  # rm /var/lib/apt/lists/xnv3.xandros.com_3.0_pkg_dists_unsupported3.0-xn_main_binary-i386_Packages
  # apt-get update
  # apt-get install synaptic

PS  This message's fortune is quite appropriate, given the current
off-topic discussion.  :)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
The best way to preserve a right is to exercise it, and the right to
smoke is a right worth dying for.