[plug] GLX, Nvidia on Debian system

Gavan Blunt gavan at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 5 12:12:04 WST 2005

Hi all.
I've recently downloaded & run the installer from nvidia and it has
almost, but not quite, worked.  I'm running the 2.6.14 kernel in Debian
unstable, and my problem is related to the glx component.  In my
xorg.conf, if I add the Load "glx" line to the modules section, X fails
to load with a:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting.

The relevant section in the Xorg.0.log (as far as I can tell) is:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1152x864"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load GLX
(==) RandR enabled

If I remove the Load "glx" line X loads fine, but without the glx
extensions (obviously). The relevant part of xdpyinfo is:

number of extensions:    33
    BIG-REQUESTS
    Composite
    DAMAGE
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FontCache
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    NV-CONTROL
    NV-GLX
    NV-GLX
    RANDR
    RECORD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    X-Resource
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFIXES
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XFree86-DGA
    XFree86-Misc
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

So basically my question is this: does anyone know why I can't start X
with the load "glx" line in my xorg.conf?

Gavan Blunt.