[plug] GLX, Nvidia on Debian system

Gavan Blunt gavan at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 6 11:19:36 WST 2005

Ahhh, sweet success.  I downloaded & ran the latest driver from the
Nvidia website (from 5/12/05, version 1.0-8174).  With no other changes
to my xorg.conf, X started although the glx component failed silently.
However, the Xorg.0.log showed a much more useful error message this
time - (EE) GLX is not supported with the Composite extension.
So, I removed the Option "Composite" "enabled" extension from xorg.conf
& X started with GLX enabled (glxgears worked).  But I believe the
composite extension has something to do with transparency, so wanting to
re-enable it  I found another option, "AllowGLXWithComposite", and so
now it is working with GLX & the composite extension enabled.
The upshot of all this is I can now have the transparency eye-candy in
KDE3.5, which really does look beautiful.  In the time its taken me to
write this email I'm now over the whole transparency thing, but it was
nice while it lasted.
So Senectus & Kirk, cheers for your help.  Hope this may help someone
else in the future.

Gavan Blunt.