[plug] GLX, Nvidia on Debian system

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Dec 7 11:56:00 WST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:19:36AM +0800, Gavan Blunt wrote:
> Ahhh, sweet success.  I downloaded & ran the latest driver from the
> Nvidia website (from 5/12/05, version 1.0-8174).  With no other changes
> to my xorg.conf, X started although the glx component failed silently.
> However, the Xorg.0.log showed a much more useful error message this
> time - (EE) GLX is not supported with the Composite extension.
> So, I removed the Option "Composite" "enabled" extension from xorg.conf
> & X started with GLX enabled (glxgears worked).

One thing I can say for NVidia, they do seem to write quality and well
maintained drivers. Closed source arguments aside, those drivers are the
reason they get my business, and I don't think I've had a problem with
them (except occasional compatability with very new X11 / distro
releases) in very long time.

I'm really impressed that they work so hard to maintain them and keep
them compatible and up to date. Given the difficulty of maintaining a
driver - especially a binary-only one - for Linux distros (varying ABIs,
install locations, versions of kernel and X11, etc), it's pretty solid
going. It must cost them quite a bit.

Sure, I'd prefer the drivers to be open source, but as it is I'm happy
to have them at all. Congrats to NVidia.

--
Craig Ringer