[plug] printers (yet again)

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 8 14:43:14 WST 2005

Hi one and all

I'm looking (yet again!) at colour laser printers, with a view to buying
one for our small LAN at home.  One which takes my fancy is the Samsung
CLP-550N.  In the blurb about this printer it says, under the heading,

     "Fonts"     136 PostScript3, 45 PCL5CE

and later in the blurb under the heading "OS Compatibility" it says

PostScript3(PPD) (Windows 95/98/Me/NT4.0/2000/XP, Various Linux OS, Mac
OS 8.6~9.2/10.1~10.3), Samsung proprietary driver (Windows
95/98/Me/NT4.0/2000/XP)

I don't understand much of what it means, but I'm told that if get a
post script printer then all the drivers are generic, and hence I don't
have to worry about Linux compatibility.

Is someone out there able to tell me if the info above indicates that
this is a true post script printer or not.

Tia
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!