[plug] printers (yet again)

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 8 19:32:44 WST 2005

Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> writes:

>I'm looking (yet again!) at colour laser printers, with a view to buying
>one for our small LAN at home.  One which takes my fancy is the Samsung
>CLP-550N.  In the blurb about this printer it says, under the heading,

>     "Fonts"     136 PostScript3, 45 PCL5CE

>and later in the blurb under the heading "OS Compatibility" it says

>PostScript3(PPD) (Windows 95/98/Me/NT4.0/2000/XP, Various Linux OS, Mac
>OS 8.6~9.2/10.1~10.3), Samsung proprietary driver (Windows
>95/98/Me/NT4.0/2000/XP)

>I don't understand much of what it means, but I'm told that if get a
>post script printer then all the drivers are generic, and hence I don't
>have to worry about Linux compatibility.

>Is someone out there able to tell me if the info above indicates that
>this is a true post script printer or not.

The PPD specifies the non-generic printer capabilities. A PPD is
really only useful with a Postscript printer.

Although there might be some "cheating" possible with Windows (or
other systems) doing the rasterisation and just dumping bitmaps to
the printer, the multi-platform support indicates that Postscript is
internal to the printer.

With the network option, it may even support CUPS directly.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Economist	\E*con"o*mist\, n.
 X   against HTML mail     | One with a ready explanation as to why
/ \  and postings          | his last prediction was so wrong