[plug] printers (yet again)

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 8 22:47:47 WST 2005

Hi Bernd

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> The PPD specifies the non-generic printer capabilities. A PPD is
> really only useful with a Postscript printer.
>
> Although there might be some "cheating" possible with Windows (or
> other systems) doing the rasterisation and just dumping bitmaps to
> the printer, the multi-platform support indicates that Postscript is
> internal to the printer.

Please forgive me, but I'm still not sure of what you're saying.  Does
the above mean that the particular printer IS most likely a "real"
postscript printer. and therefore most likely to be OK with Linux?  I
gathered from your 1st sentence that it's NOT a "real" postscript
printer, but then it appears to me that in the 2nd sentence you're
saying it is.

Please, I'm not trying to be funny here - I'm really that thick!

> With the network option, it may even support CUPS directly.

Thanx
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!