[plug] urgent questions about 64bit and hardware...

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Sat Dec 10 15:38:28 WST 2005

Using Xandros I have had no problems/glitches what-so-ever running wine,
CrossOver or USB flash drives.  All just works seamlessly on AMD
Athlon64 3000+ on an MSI mobo or some sort(?).  Or, as they say about
Xandros, "It just works!"

Good luck
Kev

Evert van Dijk wrote:
> I realise that this reply might be little late buit here goes my answer
>
> Senectus . wrote:
>
>>I've just had my PC cook the CPU for no reason (Barton 2800) and I'm
>>now in urgent need of new hardware.
>>I'd rather keep my costs low so I'd like to keep my AGP Nvidia 6600GT
>>card and IDE hard drives and DVD burner.
>>
>>But I've noticed now it's either Intel32 or AMD64 now on the market.
>>Seeing as I'm out of the loop on AMD 64 these days does anyone know if
>>you can still run Cedega/Wine/crossover office etc on a AMD64 PCU?
>
> Apparently it is possible to run Cedega but I have not had any luck with
> it, I asked the question on Whirlpool at the time and was adviced that
> there is a lot of low level stuff that realy requires 32bits.
> I hadn't tried crossover so i cannot say
> I found issues with Kaffiene as I just could not find the right place to
> put all the codecs, I tried all the logical places but no luck
> Also Flash has some serious issues
> (All this on Fedora 4 (64))
>

>>Is there any potential problems with installing x86 32bit Linux on a 64bit CPU??
>>I want to purchase this stuff in the next hour or so, so time is of the essence.
>
> I have the amd64 and am now running SuSE 10 32 bit and it runs like a
> dream including Wine/Cedega and Crossover
>

>>Also is there any other shops like PLE open this weekend that will
>>sell new CPU/Main boards at decent prices? (I love PLE.. but i still
>>want a choice)
>>
>>Thanks for your help guys..
>>

>>--
>>Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
>>  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through
>>your window, you accept it as it is and agree to my disclaimer of all
>>warranties, express or implied, as well as disclaimers of all
>>liability, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental, that may
>>arise from the installation of this brick into your building." - PJ
>>Groklaw
>>www.modmeup.net

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!