[plug] FC3 running slowly with a lot of HDD activity

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sat Dec 10 18:40:41 WST 2005

Hi all,

I've been having problems recently with my FC3 system (fully updated). Programs start very slowly compared to a month ago, and there's a lot more hard disk drive activity than before during the lag. The hard drive with the OS and swap has 29.9GB free space (it's a 40GB drive). There's 512mb of memory. The software RAID 1 drives are almost full (only about 10% left of 200GB), but only the mozilla user directories are stored on (and thus accessed from) that drive, and there is 20GB of free space left there. Where should I start with trouble shooting this? In windows I'd be running a defrag. The file systems are  extension 3.

Thanks,

Ari