[plug] printers (yet again)

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Sat Dec 10 20:23:42 WST 2005

Thanks Craig.

Craig Ringer wrote:

> I'm yet to see a network laser printer without a real built-in
> PostScript RIP (and thus, almost inevitably, decent cross-platform
> support).

What's a RIP in this context?

> It's always worth linking to the product info page. While not the
> vendor's, I looked at this one as I was curious to see how it compared
> to the Xerox Phaser 4500.
>
> http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/1231_Samsung_CLP_550N_Network_Colour_Laser.asp
>

> Answer: it's OK, and insanely cheap (especially compared to the Xerox).
> I'd want to check consumable prices very carefully, though, and make
> sure it has decent quality results, is reliable, and is decently built.
> That's a REALLY cheap printer (for a network laser with built-in RIP),
> and there might be a reason for it.

I've read quite a few tests on the net, but largely don't understand the
technicalities of what I'm reading.  Also, they always use WIndoze for
the tests, so I get no idea of it's Linux suitability.  You can see why
it interests me, if it's suitable for Linux (read genuine PS).

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!