[plug] printers (yet again)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Dec 10 20:35:03 WST 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 08:23:42PM +0800, Kev wrote:
> Thanks Craig.
>
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> >I'm yet to see a network laser printer without a real built-in
> >PostScript RIP (and thus, almost inevitably, decent cross-platform
> >support).
>
> What's a RIP in this context?

"Raster Image Processor".

It's the software that takes a printer language like PCL or PostScript
and converts it to an image that the printer can put on paper. It's
often embedded into network printers or provided in the network board,
but some printers use an external RIP that runs on a PC, sending
rasterised data to the printer.

GhostScript is used as a RIP by CUPS when printing to printers that
expect pure image data or printer control sequences in their own low
level language.

A good RIP with full support for the printer language (such as
PostScript) is important. It's crucial to print speed, image quality,
and reliable printing of more complex or demanding documents.

> I've read quite a few tests on the net, but largely don't understand the
> technicalities of what I'm reading.  Also, they always use WIndoze for
> the tests, so I get no idea of it's Linux suitability.  You can see why
> it interests me, if it's suitable for Linux (read genuine PS).

What I'd recommend: Call the vendor. Ask them about the supplies - get
prices, and ask them flat out if the cartridges have chips to check the
toner level (usually to prevent refills; the cartridge "knows" it's
empty and tells the printer so even though it's full) and to identify
the manufacturer (so you can't buy carts from alternate vendors).

--
Craig Ringer