[plug] nothing but a brown screen and mouse cursor after GDM login?

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Dec 10 23:50:08 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 23:34 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> On 12/10/05, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 21:50 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> > > after login (GDM) I get nothing but a brown screen (and a mouse cursor
> > > I can move about)...
> > > I've tried all manner of things to fix it but get nowhere.. any idea's?
> >
> > Is it JUST brown, or are there subtle shadings in the brown, like the
> > middle of an Ubuntu wallpaper? - if so, you MAY somehow have made your
> > logical screen size greater than your physical screen size and are
> > peering at Ubuntu's navel, and can't see the Gnome "command lines" - you
> > may be able to resize from an alternate console.
> >
> > What happens if you right-click?
> nah it's just brown.. right click does nothing
> I think I've broken my profile.. so I'm trying to find out what files
> I need to delete to "reset" my profile.. any idea's?

I presume that your .sig does not lie and you are using Ubuntu - I'm not
an Ubuntu expert, but I'd suggest killing X and recreating Xorg.conf - I
have no idea how Ubuntu does this. Creating a new userid and logging in
with that and comparing differences would also be a worthwhile exercise.

HTH

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
   --Philip K. Dick

Linux Counter user #306629