[plug] nothing but a brown screen and mouse cursor after GDM login?

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 00:33:32 WST 2005

)n 12/10/05, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 23:34 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it JUST brown, or are there subtle shadings in the brown, like the
> > > middle of an Ubuntu wallpaper? - if so, you MAY somehow have made your
> > > logical screen size greater than your physical screen size and are
> > > peering at Ubuntu's navel, and can't see the Gnome "command lines" - you
> > > may be able to resize from an alternate console.
> > >
> > > What happens if you right-click?
> > nah it's just brown.. right click does nothing
> > I think I've broken my profile.. so I'm trying to find out what files
> > I need to delete to "reset" my profile.. any idea's?
>
> I presume that your .sig does not lie and you are using Ubuntu - I'm not
> an Ubuntu expert, but I'd suggest killing X and recreating Xorg.conf - I
> have no idea how Ubuntu does this. Creating a new userid and logging in
> with that and comparing differences would also be a worthwhile exercise.

Yes I'm using Ubuntu 5.10.. But I Know it's not a xorg.conf problem
because if I create another user and login it works fine.
I'm thinking it's the ~/.gnome2 directory that needs to be zapped.. I
might just rename it and see how that goes..

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through