[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-P

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 21:15:08 WST 2005

On 12/13/05, Alex Polglaze <apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au> wrote:
> This is an interesting comment. Linux is now so bloated, that where we were able to run
> machines with W98 and Wme on a network and now have converted them to Linux on the same
> network, they don't have enough memory to run.
>
> We have had to upgrade the memory 4 fold, just to keep the machine usable.
>
> Not a good ad for Linux, I'm afraid.

Ahem, I really do find that comment completely off the mark.
"linux" itself will run on anything MUCH small than win98 requires...
on top of that even if your going to say you meant distro's not
"linux" there are plenty of distro's well tuned out there that will
run on a 386 with 16 meg of ram quite happily. (lets see win98 do
that!)

If your talking about mandrake 2006 or Fedora (whatever the current
release is), of _course_ it wont run well on a 486. It was never meant
to and only those with too much time on their hand and some seriously
problematic masochistic tendencies would try.

This is one of the strengths of Open source and the Linux movement.
Choice and the ability to pin point your package to specific
requirements.
Don't try slamming a square peg in a round hole, and you don't use a
wood saw to cut through an iron bar.

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through