[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-P

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Tue Dec 13 21:00:17 WST 2005

Mark J Gaynor wrote:

> I think the last part says it all. In the M$ world, being everything to
> everyone ends up as bloteware. Is it any wander that you need huge
> amounts of ram and cutting edge processor speed to do anything. I
> remember when the Linux environment used to load quite fast once you
> made the optimizations that M$ does as part of its install. Now it takes
> forever to load a desktop.

This is an interesting comment. Linux is now so bloated, that where we were able to run
machines with W98 and Wme on a network and now have converted them to Linux on the same
network, they don't have enough memory to run.

We have had to upgrade the memory 4 fold, just to keep the machine usable.

Not a good ad for Linux, I'm afraid.

Alex