[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-P

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 14 10:37:22 WST 2005

simon wrote:

> Really? Minimal install, install X and fluxbox or something equally thin, and
> go for your life.
>
> Ofcourse, what youre really saying is you want to use the heavy apps like OOo
> and have all the niceties of something like KDE without the hardware
> requirement :) Unfortunately that just aint gonna happen.

Well, are we going to compare apples with apples, or do want grapes with
watermelons.  If we're going to compare Linux with Windows, then we must
have comparable functionality.  For 99.9999% of the world's computer
users that means GUI and "... all the niceties ..."  What you've
described above is back to geekdom, and that's what has held wider Linux
acceptance at bay since it's inception.  If the 99.999...% of users
wanted "minimal install" then they'd have stayed with DOS, which, while
newer than Unix, is much older than Linux.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.2
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!