[plug] hmmm Linus being opinionated again :-P

simon simon at chrome64.org
Wed Dec 14 10:48:41 WST 2005

Kev (kdownes at tpg.com.au) wrote:

> Well, are we going to compare apples with apples, or do want grapes with

Comparison? Why?

> watermelons.  If we're going to compare Linux with Windows, then we must
> have comparable functionality.  For 99.9999% of the world's computer
> users that means GUI and "... all the niceties ..."  What you've
> described above is back to geekdom, and that's what has held wider Linux
> acceptance at bay since it's inception.  If the 99.999...% of users

Again, I do not care what the wider public do with linux. I still fail to
understand why everyone seems to want the world to use linux rather than
windows. If people are happy with windows, why want them to change?

Also, in comparing windows to linux, I doubt you could say windows has "all
the niceties'. Do a standard XP install and tell me how much functionality you
get out of the box.

> wanted "minimal install" then they'd have stayed with DOS, which, while
> newer than Unix, is much older than Linux.

Perhaps thats the option then?

--
Simon Scott
simon at chrome64.org