[plug] AMD64 Debian Box3N :D

Randal Adamson ranz at devdata.net
Thu Dec 15 15:01:30 WST 2005

Hi all,

I'm pleased to have now had time to install debian-amd64 on my Athlon64
SanDiego Core (oo 1mb cach3N!) 3700+ SATA HDD and 1GB RAM, and a DUAL
HEAD Radeon 9600!. It works beautifully.

2.6.12-1-amd64-generic (uname)

I also got to play with Chroot and the ability to run 32bit apps in the
64bit kernel. Found some good how-to's on the web for this. Worked like
a charm. On the 64bit source - you can only get OOO 1.1.4-7. You could
compile your own - or you can run 2.0 in Chroot :D !!

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/amd64.jspx

and I'm using the following source:

deb http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/debian-amd64/debian testing main
contrib

Am I right in thinking that this system is running faster in 64bit? I
mean Gnome runs like a dream! glxgears shows

866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 173.200 FPS

i haven't tweaked or done anything to my x setup yet - so I guess with
some drivers, settings - this could be improved dramatically. I also
think DRI is disabled as glxinfo shows:

direct rendering: No

Anyone else out there doing the same?

--